A Best Practices Guide for ORV Trail Infrastructure for the Back Country Powersports Coalition (BCPSC)
March 30, 2023
The BC Powersports Coalition (BCPSC) is an organization consisting of the BC Snowmobile Federation (BCSF), ATVBC, and the BC Off-Road Motorcycle Association (BCORMA). The BCPSC represents motorized recreation interests in BC and helps manage the Offroad Vehicle fund (ORV Fund), which provides grants within BC for Safety and Infrastructure Projects. The BCPSC has recognized the complex nature of developing trails and recreational infrastructure within BC.
The BCPSC is seeking development of a “Best Practices Guide for ORV Trail Infrastructure in BC” to assist the member clubs of the BCPSC in managing, maintaining, and developing new trails and trail infrastructure.
The BCPSC has engaged with McElhanney Ltd. to manage Phase 1 of the project which is expected to run March 2023 to July 2023.
Goals and Outcomes
Phase one of the project for the “Best Practices Guide for ORV Trail Infrastructure in BC” will:
- Notify stakeholders of the project and its benefits.
- Directly engage with members of BCPSC organizations and members of constituent organizations to gain insight into their experiences, frustrations, successes, and desired outcomes regarding trail and infrastructure development.
- Produce a “What We Heard” report highlighting the findings of stakeholder engagement.
- Identify efficiencies and constraints in current trail infrastructure and infrastructure management through jurisdictional and background review.
- Create a work plan and budget for Phase 2 of the project, which will be the initial drafting of the Best Practices Guide.
McElhanney’s project team includes Project Manager, Magi Scallion; Trail Specialist, Ted Morton; and Trail Technician, Alex McDonald. Both Magi and Ted are IAP2 certified engagement specialists and have more than 30 years combined experience in trail and recreation development. The project specific team is supported by the wide network of McElhanney resources, including a dedicated Outdoor Recreation Infrastructure team of engineers, landscape architects and professional planners, who regularly work together to deliver projects across Canada.
For any inquiries, please contact the Project Manager, Magi Scallion ([email protected]).
The BC Powersports Coalition and McElhanney Ltd. are grateful to live, work, and be in relation with people from across many traditional and unceded territories, covering all regions of British Columbia. We are honoured to live on this land and are committed to reconciliation, decolonization, and building relationships in communities.