ATV Safety Institute Golden Rules
First, safe ATV operation begins with ASI’s Golden Rules (these apply to riders of any age):
- Always wear a DOT-compliant helmet, goggles, long sleeves, long pants, over-the-ankle boots, and gloves.
- Never ride on paved roads except to cross when done safely and permitted by law – another vehicle could hit you. ATVs are designed to be operated off-highway.
- Never ride under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Never carry a passenger on a single-rider ATV, and no more than one passenger on an ATV specifically designed for two people.
- Ride an ATV that’s right for your age.
- Supervise riders younger than 16; ATVs are not toys.
- Ride only on designated trails and at a safe speed.
- Take a hands-on ATV RiderCourse and the free online E-Course.
ATV Safety Readiness Checklist
Use the ATV Safety Institute checklist to help assess your child’s readiness in four key areas:
- visual perception/motor development,
- physical development,
- social/emotional development, and
- reasoning and decision making ability