Wells creates ATV access into community
Six years ago, the small community of Wells BC started up the Wells Wheels ATV Club with the vision of having trails accessed right from dedicated town corridors to not only Prince George via the Sugar Creek Loop but also to other ATV destinations such as Barkerville Historic Town, Two Sisters, Yanks Peak, Ghost Lake and beyond.
The 2019 ATVBC AGM and Jamboree will be hosted by the Greenwood Boundary ATV Club, August 18 – 26 with the AGM on the 24th.
Save the dates for 2019 events!
ORV Bylaws for Town Corridor
This year the dream became reality, with the support of the District of Wells, Barkerville Historic Town, Barkerville Gold, Desi from Recreation Sites and Trails BC, ATVBC and all of the other amazing supporters and Provincial Grants, we accomplished ORV bylaws for a Town Corridor, the BGM Trail from the Town of Wells to the One Mile Bridge connecting the Barkerville Historic Town Valley Mountain Trail to Forest Rose Campground. Our ORV trails are now connected to accommodations and campgrounds in Wells as well as accommodations and campgrounds in Barkerville Historic Town.
2018 ATV Jamboree
Time was of the essence to complete the project as the Wells Wheels was hosting the 2018 ATVBC Jamboree in August. With the backing and assistance from ATVBC and all of our sponsors (which are listed below) the Wells Wheels organized a weeks’ worth of events for approximately 150 which included:
- 3 days of guided rides to Two Sisters, Ghost Lake and Yanks Peak providing the opportunity for breath-taking views from mountain tops to the spectacular falls. Forest Power Sports had demo ORV’s available all week for interested riders to take on trial runs
- Wednesday evening was enjoyed by many as they tested their vocal chords with Karaoke at the Jack O’Clubs General Store. Barkerville Gold Mines provided a designated shuttle to and from the campsite so that everyone could enjoy their evening.
- A special evening guided ride (thanks to special permission from Barkerville Historic Town and Desi from Recreation Sites and Trails BC) to Groundhog Lake
- On Friday Forest Power Sports sponsored a special ride that took you to Cariboo Falls and then through the historic town of Keithley Creek
- Friday evening was the absolutely delicious banquet catered by Wake-Up Jake’s in Barkerville and enjoyed by 150
- The ATVBC AGM was held at Forest Rose Campground on Saturday afternoon
- Saturday evening was the Wine & Cheese sponsored by Oasis Insurance and deliciously displayed and catered by Goldfield Bakery in Barkerville. There was both a Silent and Live Auction which we were very fortunate to have Bob Stewart be our hilarious and productive auctioneer
- Sunday was the Poker Ride which, even though was a rainy day was well attended with 74 riders.
Towns of Barkerville and Wells benefit from visitors
When they weren’t riding they took in the Town of Barkerville and/or Wells. Some dressed up in period costumes on the Friday and looked amazing in character as they toured Barkerville. A great time, riding, shopping, eating and taking in all of the entertainment was had by all in the beautiful Wells/Barkerville area. The Wells Wheels ATV Club really enjoyed hosting the ATVBC Jamboree and the feedback received from the Wells and Barkerville businesses and community is that they also enjoyed having them all here, all of the Riders were very respectful of our towns/ area and the people and businesses really enjoyed the time they spent with them.
Sponsors key to event success
Barkerville Historic Town
Barkerville Gold Mines
Desi from Recreation Sites and Trails
Jack O’Clubs General
Forest Power Sports
Make Traxx Recreation
South Cariboo Motor Sports
Remember That Designs
Valley Trail Riders
Performance All Terrain
Aaron Tschabold photography (www.aarontschabold.com)
Cowichan Valley ATV
Bill Horn from Amazing Space
Swag from the local Wells businesses